Microsoft Project Management Tips & Evolving Into Projectsly
Read further into Microsoft Project Management Tips are effective strategies to grow & evolve into projectsly a new project management suite.
As a project manager, you have a lot on your plate, from dealing with demands and negotiating with external stakeholders to coordinating and controlling your team. Statistics reveal that 77% of high-performing teams use project management software to assign tasks, manage resources, and track the team's progress. A study suggests that 19.78% of managers use Microsoft Project Management software.
Microsoft Project Management
It offers business solutions in agile and waterfall methodologies in four categories- simple project management, professional project management, portfolio management, and resource management. Agile methodology encompasses scrum project management and Kanban project management. Microsoft project management allows you to choose between agile project management and waterfall project management or hybrid (both agile and waterfall) based on your project size and requirement.
12 Must-Know Tips for Beginners Using Microsoft Project Management
- Give a Project start date- Default settings are the current date, so enter a desirable start date so that Microsoft Project will calculate task dates accordingly.
- Change task settings from manual to auto- If there is a change in predecessor tasks, scheduling dates should change automatically. Change the settings to Auto Schedule from the manual option.
- Define your project calendar- While scheduling tasks for your project, define the working and non-working days, including holidays. Microsoft Project will formulate scheduling rules accordingly.
- Start with a task list- Plan your information and prepare a list of tasks and let Microsoft Project do scheduling calculations for you.
- Create an overall project structure, then put dates or duration estimates for your project. Microsoft will calculate the dates automatically only if you define the task relationship properly.
- Create WBS to divide the project into manageable components- Create a list so that higher-level tasks decompose into sub-tasks. Use indent and outdent features to create WBS.
- Define your working relationships- Create a WBS, define low-level tasks, and define network dependencies and task relationships. Microsoft then calculates the dates of successor activities.
- Note constraints in dates- For date calculations, insert predefined client-specific project deadlines in your Microsoft Project.
- Use manual scheduling for custom project deadlines- Identify date constraints and make them independent of automatic scheduling.
- Do not put a predecessor for the summary task- Summary task calculations happen automatically to avoid miscalculations, do not add a predecessor.
- If you want to manage multiple projects, use master project files. It helps create cross-project dependencies and calculates critical paths across the portfolio.
- Define a schedule and baseline it to retain the original dates even if the project schedule changes.
Why Evolve Into Newer Tools Like Projectsly?
- Microsoft Project has a steep learning curve where you should learn from tutorials.
- Expensive- On-premise solutions have many more features than the cloud option but are costly.
- Limited integration with non-Microsoft products.
- Desktop apps do not have collaboration features and cannot track real-time task progress.
Therefore, you should take a glimpse at the other best project management software options in the market. For instance, Trello project management, Wrike project management, and Projectsly software. Projectsly by 500apps consolidates several functions and tools and delivers them in one package. It offers real-time data collection, provides analytics, and tracks KPIs to measure the team's success. Let us dive deep into their salient features below.
Get to Know the Ribbon and Projectsly Features
A look at the powerful features of Projectsly.com:
- Create unlimited projects, hold discussions and generate real-time reports.
- Multiple views to visualize team tasks and simplify the process.
- Gantt charts to get insight into task schedules, track the status and meet deadlines.
- Goal management to create trackable goals, burndown charts, and track task status.
- Time tracking to track work hours and improve the productivity of employees.
- Automation to eliminate repetitive tasks with an easy-to-use visual designer.
- iCalendar sync to effortlessly integrate calendar apps from one place.
- Advanced reports to analyze the team's performance and make necessary decisions.
- Team conversation to connect and collaborate within teams.
- Activities to track the team's real-time updates and task updates.
MsProject 2016 vs. Projectsly
Why choose projectsly.com over MsProject 2016?
- Accessibility- MsProject 2016 is a desktop solution that works only on Windows.
- Complexity- MsProject 2016 has complicated scheduling where users need rigorous training. Managers do not know whether to add a dependency with lead time or add a constraint, wasting time in Microsoft project forums.
- No alerts- Microsoft project management does not offer options for reminding events like missed deadlines or lagging tasks. You can track your team's goals and get a reminder of tasks and projects with Projectsly.com.
- Collaboration and file sharing- MsProject 2016 does not have an in-built collaboration and does not have a comment feature or file-sharing capability. Projecstly.com enables real-time collaboration and coordination with team members.
- Missing client portal- The project manager only mails the client but does not offer a real-time status. Projecstly.com offers task updates and real-time team discussions.
- No Dashboard- Microsoft project management does not offer a dashboard to report slipping tasks, milestone progress, etc. You have to take the help of additional tools like Power BI in the cloud. Projectsly.com has a feature to generate custom reports with pie charts and bar charts on dashboards to improve the team's performance.
Use SmartArt to Create Effective Visuals using Projectsly.com
Projectsly uses Gantt charts for visual representations like Microsoft project management. Gantt chart is a time-specific graphical representation that uses the start and end dates of the project elements such as resources, planning, and dependencies and displays diagrams in the form of a bar chart. Using Gantt charts, you can prioritize tasks and give tasks to different team members.
Utilize the Timeline Feature of projectsly.com
With the timeline feature of Projectsly.com, you can perform the following:
- Track time spent on each activity of your project
- Track real-time employee activity
- Measure employee productivity and efficiency
- Assist team members in accomplishing goals promptly
- Retrieve work summary
Get Project Management Templates using projectsly
Get project management templates and plan, schedule, and achieve your goals by connecting all moving parts of your project. Whether complex workflow or simple to-do lists, Projectsly can help you work on task improvement and productivity.
Take Advantage of Task Scheduling with Projectsly.com in comparison with Microsoft
Microsoft provides manual and automatic scheduling options but are complex for beginners and don't allow team collaborations.
Advantages of using Projectsly for task scheduling
1. A calendar tool for scheduling tasks and monitoring
Projectsly has an iCalendar feature that allows you to transfer calendar and schedule information between your team and computer. Three sync options Projectsly.com support is:
i) Google Calendar- Using the MyCal URL, you can assign tasks and merge them to Google Calendar.
ii) Outlook Calendar- You can import Projecstly's calendar sync into your outlook by MyCal URL.
iii) Mac/ iPhone- You can pull all the tasks from iCalendar to your Mac/iPhone with MyCalURL.
2. Multiple views for managing scheduled tasks
You can monitor high-priority tasks with a drag-and-drop functionality with Kanban View, List view, calendar view, and Gantt view.
i) Powerful automation You can schedule repetitive tasks via workflow automation and get them done without human intervention.
ii) Collaboration and file sharing You can collaborate with your teams remotely and hold team conversations regarding scheduled work. Once scheduled tasks are complete, you can share files with all the stakeholders.
3. Level Resources to Avoid Over-allocation
Often, project managers end up over-allocating resources leading to poor employee satisfaction. Things to do to level resources to avoid over-allocation are:
- Set a resource allocation calendar
- Forecast resource availability with accurate estimates
- Create a staffing plan, decide who will work as soon as the project begins, and allocate tasks accordingly
- Use automation to optimize resource allocation.
4. Create Custom Fields to Track Data with Projectsly.com
Custom fields help to suit different business and project needs. You can add custom fields and restrict visibility to specific team members. Also, you can prioritize work as critical or minor using custom fields. Types of data you can use to create and track using projecstly are:
5. Protect Your Project Files
To protect your project files, ensure physical security (where and how data is stored), network and system security (whether your software follows standard network protection procedure), application security, privacy, and compliance.
6. Use the Sharepoint Feature of projectsly.com
Using the Sharepoint feature of projectsly.com enables you to provide a central hub where you can access dashboard and reporting tools from one place and keep the stakeholders in the loop. The benefits of using the Sharepoint feature are:
- Record milestones, progress, and deadlines
- Assign schedules and manage tasks effortlessly
- Collaboration- anytime, anywhere
- Simple and accurate budgeting and timelines
Summing It Up
While Microsoft Project Management can help your business and clients achieve business goals, they may not always be the best fit for your project management solutions. Projectsly is the best option if you are looking for project management solutions with collaboration features, multiple views, automation, a time tracking facility, team communication, advanced reports, and Gmail integration. Visit the 500apps website today to learn more!
What Makes the Best Project Management Software?
Plan, organize, track all your projects in one place
Get a visibility over individual tasks in the form of kanban boards
Track the project schedule using gantt chart and calendar view
Create advanced workflows with powerful automations
Track employee activities, and working hours using built-in time tracking software, Clockly
Monitor activities using screen recorder on Windows, Mac and Linux devices
Set S.M.A.R.T goals and achieve results
Share files and collaborate with team through discussion boards
Unbelievable pricing - the lowest you will ever find
Everything your business needs - 50 apps, 24/5 support and 99.95% uptime
Join the SaaS Revolution
All-in-One Suite of 50 apps
Unbelievable pricing - $14.99/user
24/5 Chat, Phone and Email Support
Email Finder Author Finder Email Validator Email List Email Hunter Email Checker Email Lookup Email Extractor Email Address Finder Email Scraper Find Emails CRM Software CRM Sales CRM CRM Software Enterprise CRM Software Cloud CRM Software Sales Enablement Workflow Automation Retail CRM Call Center CRM Real Estate CRM Sales Tool SDR Software Sales Engagement Platform Sales Qualified Leads Lead Management Tool Sales Tracking Sales Automation Outbound Sales Sales Prospecting Follow Up Leads Lead Management Call Center Software Call Center Software Outbound Call Center Auto Dialer Software Dialer Call Monitoring Automatic Call Distributor Answering Machine Detection Cloud Contact Center Software Virtual Call Center Call Management Time Tracking Time Tracking Employee Monitoring Time Tracker Time Tracking Software Timesheet Employee Time Clock Employee Tracking App Timekeeping Tracking App Time Clock App Applicant Tracking System ATS Applicant Tracking System Application Tracking System Applicant Software Recruiting Software ATS System Applicant Tracking Applicant Tracker Recruitment Software Candidate Relationship Management Systems Video Interviews Assessment Management Recruitment Software Video Interview Virtual Interview Coding Interview Interview Tool Online Assessment Employment Assessment Test Position Management Hiring App HRMS Software Human Resource Management HRMS Software HR Software Payroll Software Human Resource Software Employee Onboarding HRMS HR System Employee Management Document Management AI Writer Lead Enrichment AI Email Writer Sales Pitch Writer AI LinkedIn Outreach SEO Email writer Backlink Email Writer LinkedIn Chrome Extension Opening Line Writer Lead Generation Linkedin Search Prospect Lead Generation Sales Generation Data Enrichment CRM Integrations Technology Search Search with Email Integrations Website Search OKR Tool KPI OKR Task Management Performance Review Employee Performance Evaluation Employee Review Performance Management System OKR Goals MBO Email Notifications Learning Management System LMS Elearning Enterprise Learning Management Professional Development Employee Training Learning Management System Learning Platform Asynchronous Learning Training Management Knowledge Management Chatbot Chatbot AI Chatbot Customer Service Chatbot Online Chatbot Create Chatbot Messenger Chatbot Chatbot Software Website Chatbot Software Survey Bot Bot Builder Help Desk Software Ticketing Tool User Experience Help Desk Software Ticketing System Helpdesk Ticketing System Feedback Management Service Desk Software Support Ticketing Software Helpdesk Support Software Customer Service Ticketing System Live Chat Customer Service Software Live Chat Software Live Chat App Live Chat System Website Live Chat Live Chat Tool Web Chat Software Live Chat Support Software Customer Service Tool Live Chat Service Customer Feedback Customer Feedback Survey Customer Feedback Management Software Feedback Management Tool Customer Satisfaction Survey Software Customer Feedback Management System Client Feedback Software Survey Analysis Feedback Survey Software Feedback Management System User Feedback Software Customer Onboarding Customer Success Management Onboarding Process Workflows Customer Retention Customer Journey Onboarding Checklist User Segmentation Personalization Customized Templates Popup Builder API Platform End To End API Management Unified API Control REST API Management Web API Gateway API Documentation API Management API Integration API Development Unlimited Projects API Gateway Single Sign on Authentication Software Application Management Password Management SSO Configuration SSO Single Sign-On Access Management Easy Set-Up Single Login Secure Login App Builder App Builder Platform Low Code Application Platforms Low Code Development Build Your Own App Low Code App Software Drag And Drop Builder Custom Application Low Code Platform Low Code No Code Bespoke Software App Widgets Custom Widget File Picker Playground OAuth Keys File Manager Website Monitoring Reporting Web Application Monitoring Website Monitoring App Monitoring Performance Monitor App Baseline Analysis Location Insights Alerting System Reporting Wireframe Tool Design UI UX Project Management Mock Designer Wireframe Designer Website Mockup UI Prototyping Image Library Project Management Real-Time Updates Design UI UX Website Builder Website Builder Webpage Builder Website Creator Landing Page Creator Website Maker Blog Builder Ecommerce Website Builder Website Analytics Website Development Landing Page Builder Email Marketing Email Marketing Software Bulk Email Sender Automated Email Email Campaign Systems Email Automation Software Autoresponders Email Blast Service Email Marketing Email Marketing Automation Drip Campaigns Social Media Management Instagram Post Scheduler Social Media Analytics Social Media Management Social Media Planner Social Media Calendar Social Media Scheduling Social Media Listening Social Media Monitoring Social Listening SEO Tool Keyword Tool Link Building SEO Optimizer Website Audit On-Page SEO Broken Link Checker Rank Tracker Website Grader SEO Competitor Analysis Website Recording Website Analytics Click Tracking Usability Testing Website Monitoring Mouse Tracking Visitor Recording Session Replay Conversion Funnels Website Recording Website Visitor Tracker Website Personalization Lead Generation Tool Popup Maker Lead Generation Software Popup Builder Website Personalization Software Lead Capture Software Popup Builder Lead Capture Tool Lead Generation App Website Personalization App Content Planner Content Planner AI Writer Social Media Content Planner Ai Content Writer Social Media Content Calendar Content Generator AI Blog Writer Content Marketing Software Social Media Calendar Social Media Planner Push Notification Push Notification Push Messages Push Notification Service Push Service Push Notification App Custom Notifications Mobile Push Notifications Push Notification For Website Push Notification Tool Push Notification Providers Image Personalization Email Marketing Template Countdown Clock Personalization Software Personalized Software Countdown Clock Countdown Timer In Email Personalization Tool Personalized Images Personalized Videos Conversational Chatbot PPC Management Keyword Research PPC Management PPC Marketing Keyword Finder Keyword Generator Shopping Ads Adwords Reports Keyword Research Tool Keyword Suggestion Tool Team Chat Team Chat Software Collaboration Software Team Collaboration Team Communication Online Collaboration Collaboration Tool Teamwork Collaboration Virtual Communication Team Collaboration Software Business Phone System Virtual Phone Numbers Virtual PBX Toll Free Numbers Business Phone System IVR PBX Small Business Phone System PBX System VoIP Phone Cloud Phone Video Conferencing Video Conferencing Video Call Recording Virtual Conferencing Software Virtual Meetings Virtual Meeting Platforms Virtual Conference Platforms Online Conference Platforms Video Calling Software Cloud Meetings Video Conferencing Software Email Provider Email Software Software For Emails Hosted Emails Email With Domain Custom Email Address Email Hosting Business Email Address Email Encrypted Custom Domain Email Project Management Software Project Management Task Management Project Planner Project Management Tool Task Management Software Project Planning Software Project Management App Task Management App Project Management System Project Management Software Form Builder Form Builder Survey Builder Order Forms Web Forms Form Maker Form Creator Form Designer Survey Maker Survey Creator Custom Form Appointment Scheduling Appointment Scheduling Software Appointment Scheduling System Meetings Scheduler Appointment Scheduling App Online Appointment Scheduling Online Scheduling App Appointment Scheduler Appointment Booking App Calendar Scheduler Online Scheduler Robotic Process Automation RPA Tools RPA RPA Automation Robotic Automation Software Data Scraper Web Scraper Robotic Automation Website Scraper Business Process Automation Robotic Process Automation Business Process Management Workflow Management Business Process Modelling Business Process Automation BPMN BPM Software BPM Tool Business Process Management Workflow Software Workflow Automation Business Process Mapping App Integration Workflow Software Workflow App Workflow Automation Process Automation Application Integration Data Integration Tool Workflow Management Software Data Integration Software Workflow Tool Marketing Automation Electronic Signature Signature Maker Digital Signature Software Digital Signature Pdf Signer Esign Online Signature Signature Creator Sign Documents Online Electronic Sign E Signature